March 25, 2012

Pantry Clean Out Night 6

Tonight's dinner was one of my all time favorites, vegan Mac & Cheese. This is my own recipe that I worked on several times until I got it just where I wanted it. It's fairly cheap to make, and I always keep the ingredients on hand. Try it out sometime, you will not be dissappointed!

Caitlin's Vegan Mac & Cheese

1 lb elbow macaroni
1/2 cup vegan margarine
1/2 cup flour
3 cup boiling water
3 Tablespoons soy sauce or preferably Bragg's if ya got it. Get yo aminos!
1 1/2 Tablespoon garlic powder
good shake of turmeric
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/8 cup vegetable oil
1 can Rotel, do not drain
1/4 to 1/2 cup bread crumbs, optional

1) If you're an oven pre-heater, this is when you would turn it to 350 degrees. I don't believe in preheating, though. Weird? Probably.
2) Cook macaroni according to package directions and add a bit of salt to the water used. Drain when done.
3) In a saucepan, melt margarine over medium heat. Whisk in flour. Continue whisking for 2 minutes.
4) Whisk in boiling water, soy sauce or Bragg's, garlic powder, and turmeric. Whisk until dissolved.
5) Once thick and bubbling, whisk in oil, nutritional yeast and Rotel.
6) Mix in the bread crumbs and onion, if using. I prefer the bread crumbs because they make the sauce thicker, and give the mac and cheese the consistency of mac and cheese that was made with a strong, cheddar cheese. I'm a texture eater.
7) Mix 3/4 of the sauce with the macaroni and place in 9x13 casserole dish. (I just mix it in the casserole dish so I don't dirty extra dishes)
8) Cover with remaining sauce.
9) Bake 15 minutes, then broil for a few minutes until brown and crispy.
10) After it cools, eat your heart out. No animals were hurt or even slightly upset in the making of this awesome dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment