April 14, 2011

DIY Belt Footstool

Recently, I found this pic on a design blog of this footstool. I really liked it and remembered that I had an old bag of scrap leather from pre-vegetarian days. I figured that since I already had the leather scraps that are literally sitting in a bag, somewhere in a closet...I could be okay with using them and not feel bad about the leather in the house.
My grandma gave me this old footstool when she moved out of her house, and honestly, it was looking a little rough.
 Then, the other day my mom asked me if I wanted any of her old belts. The light bulb in my head turned on. I took the whole stinkin' box.
 And recovered the footstool with the belts instead of the leather scraps. It is so colorful and great. It only took about 20 minutes and it was free. 
I had to iron out some of the belts to straighten them out since they'd been in that box so long and were all crunched up.
I ironed them, stretched several over one end, and attached with wood working staples, and then attached more on the adjacent side, and started weaving. I did leave the old cane on there to strengthen it up under the belts.
I am very happy with it.

 Sorry these photos are so dark. It was super late, and my camera is very old. But, look at those gorgeous wood floors! Man oh man are they pretty!

1 comment: