Because of the "No sweets for dinner!" rule, I never had sweet potatoes until I met Alan. I thought I hated them, only because I didn't know of other ways to cook them. Alan told me there were other ways. I was hesitant.
I found this recipe and have adapted it along the way, and it is one of my favorites. Any time we have sweet potatoes on hand, I will usually make these. They're my favorite.
PS, although I said I don't like sweet things, this recipe does have a bit of brown sugar in it. Alan also taught me that a tiny bit of sugar in recipes will help bring out other flavors and also give a good crispness to certain things when baked...like these!
Hot Crash Sweet Potatoes
Ingredients:2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced about 1 inch thick
1 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 tablespoon New Mexico chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Using a saucepan, use enough water to cover your potatoes, salt the water and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and set the timer for 10 minutes – time from when you put the potatoes in, not from when the water starts to boil.These ended up taking about 12 minutes, though you may need to pull some out as they feel "done". You want them to be somewhat soft but not cooked through. Stick a fork in 'em...you'll know if they're done or not. Let them cool off for 10 minutes or so – they will hold together a little better for the next step.
After they cool, squish em! I use a fork and make little criss-crosses in them, like you do with peanut butter cookies. As you do it a little bit at a time, the potatoes will start squishing down more and more for you. Try not to squish 'em too much though, you want them to hold together into disks.
Drizzle each of them with a tiny bit of olive oil and then sprinkle each one with the spice mixture, pressing it lightly on the surface. Carefully turn them over and coat the other side with the oil and the spices.
PS: Try not to make them with those crazy huge sweet potatoes that show up in the megastores around the holidays. I get mine from the local health food center, which makes a lot of difference. The ones that are more than 2 inches in diameter are hard to squish and don't caramelize as much.
No comments:
Post a Comment